The Prichard Jones Institute is located in the historic village of Newborough in South West Anglesey. A “new borough”was established on this site in 1303 to accommodate the displaced Welsh inhabitants of Llanfaes near Beaumaris. King Edward had decreed that the Welsh population of Llanfaes should be moved to the village of Rhosyr which was then renamed Newborough
The Prichard Jones Institute and the six cottage homes were built in 1902-1905, at a cost of £ 19,000, by a local builder, Hugh Hughes, to a design produced by Rowland Lloyd Jones, Architect, of Caernarfon. It was officially opened by the Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey, Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley of Beaumaris in 1905. The development was conceived and the entire costs were borne by Sir John Prichard Jones Bt. who was born at Newborough in 1841, one of the three sons of Richard and Jane Jones of Tyn-y-Coed
John Prichard Jones, at the age of 14, was apprenticed to a linen draper in Caernarfon. Later he worked in Pwllheli and Dewsbury. In 1872 he entered the firm of Dickins, Smith and Stevens in Regent Street, London. He was soon promoted to buyer, manger and finally a partner in the Company, which was by now one of the largest and most successful Department Stores in the capital city. He funded the building of the Institute in Newborough and of the Hall, which bears his name, at Bangor University. He was honoured with a baronetcy in 1910 and was awarded a Doctorate of Law by the University of Wales. He died in 1917 and is buried at St Peter’s Church, Newborough, Anglesey, North Wales.
The Prichard Jones Institute provided the inhabitants of Newborough and the surrounding district a free Library, Assembly room, Reading and Recreation Rooms, together with Cottage Residencies and, in the early years, pensions for some “deserving” inhabitants of Newborough.
The six cottages were built in 1905 and consist of a living room, double bedroom, kitchen and bathroom with toilet. They are gas centrally heated and are available for rent when vacancies arise.
The Prichard Jones Institute is administered by a Board of Trustees and is a registered charity ( Charity Number 1117325-1)
The Institute featured in the BBC programme, “Restoration” in 2006 and although it did not win the competition funding was later provided by Menter Môn, Isle of Anglesey County Council and The Welsh Assembly Government for a full restoration of the Grade Two listed building in 2008-2009..