The Prichard Jones Institute and six cottage homes Newborough, Anglesey were built in 1902-1905, at a cost of £ 19,000, by a local builder, Hugh Hughes, to a design produced by Rowland Lloyd Jones, Architect, of Caernarfon. It was officially opened by the Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey, Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley of Beaumaris in 1905. The entire costs were borne by Sir John Prichard Jones Bt.
Sir John Prichard Jones was born at Tyn- y- Coed, Newborough in 1841. At the age of 14 he was apprenticed to a linen draper in Caernarfon. Later he worked in Pwllheli and Dewsbury. In 1872 he entered the firm of Dickins, Smith and Stevens in Regent Street, London. He was soon promoted to buyer, manger and finally a partner in the Company, which was by now one of the largest and most successful Department Stores in the capital city.
He died in 1917 and is buried at St Peter’s Church, Newborough,.
The Prichard Jones Institute provided the inhabitants of Newborough and the surrounding district a free Library, Assembly room, Reading and Recreation Rooms, together with Cottage Residencies and, in the early years, pensions for some “deserving” inhabitants of Newborough.
The Prichard Jones Institute is administered by a Board of Trustees and is a registered charity ( Charity Number 1117325-1).It is a Grade 2 Listed building.
The Institute featured in the BBC programme, “Restoration” in 2006 and although it did not win the competition funding was later provided by Menter Môn, Isle of Anglesey County Council and The Welsh Assembly Government for a full restoration of the Grade Two listed building in 2008-2009.
Latest news details here